Ghee or olive oil
Small onion finely diced
Big pinch of salt
2 big pinches of cumin seed, roughly crushed to bring out the flavour
2 big pinches of chilli flakes
3 cloves of grated garlic
3 cups of cooked beans (canned is sweet)
Lime is best, but use lemon if that's what you've got
Fresh coriander or Italian parsley
- Warm the oil then add onion and salt and saute gently until translucent. Don't rush the onion! Melty onion is the magic start.
- Add garlic and spices and toss the pan about until the fragrance hits your nose then add the beans and 1/2c water. Stir together and pop a lid on the pan.
- Cook at a medium pace for about 5minutes until the beans are squishy then remove the lid and mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add more water as you need it - home cooked beans soak up more than canned beans.
- Squeeze in lime juice. Start with 1/2 a lime and go from there. Taste and add more salt, lime, chilli.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander or Italian parsley if coriander's not your thing.