Pumpkin Tomato Dhal
- Vegetable oil x 2 tbsp
- Onion x 1 large- fine chop
- Garlic x 4 cloves - fine chop
- Pumpkin x ½ - 15mm cube approx.
- Turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala x 2 heaped teaspoons (each)
- Cinnamon x ¾ tsp
- Cayenne x ¾ tsp
- Ginger x ½ tsp
- Brown sugar x 1 tbsp
- Chopped tomatoes x 3 small cans
- Tomato passata x 400ml
- Vegetable stock x 2 1/2 litres ( approx.)
- Red lentils x 4 cups ( approx.)
- Coconut cream x 1 small can
- Fresh coriander x 1 cup chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil & saute onion, garlic, pumpkin, spices and sugar over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, passata and stock and bring to the boil.
Add lentils and cook approximately 30 mins until cooked.
Mash the soup with a potato masher which helps thicken the soup. If too thick then let down with more passata/stock. If too thin then add more lentils and cook further.
Add coconut cream, fresh coriander and season to taste.
I prefer a thick dhal which is great accompanied by roti.
Garnish with toasted thread coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds plus fresh coriander.
Makes approx. 4 litres or 8 serves.