Polenta with Roast Mediterranean Vegetables and Balsamic Syrup
- 250g instant polenta
- 100g grated parmesan
- 50g butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, whole with skin on
- 1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red capsicum cut into chunks
- 1 aubergine cut into chunks
- 4 green zucchini sliced into rounds
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Maldon sea salt, or other salt flakes
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons toasted pinenuts
- 200g rocket
Prepare 250g of instant polenta according to packet instructions.
Stir in 100g grated parmesan and 50g butter.
Pour into shallow square or rectangular dish, cool, then refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Toss the vegetables with olive oil and salt and roast in baking tray for about 30-40 minutes.
Place balsamic vinegar and soft brown sugar in a pot on medium heat and simmer till reduced by half or looks slightly syrupy.
Cut polenta into 8 triangles.
Sear in frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil, till golden on either side.
Heat through in oven for 5-10 minutes.
Place two triangles on each plate.
Pile roast vegetables on top.
Top with rocket and pinenuts.
Drizzle with balsamic syrup.
Suggested wines to compliment this recipe
Te Awa 'Left Field' 2006
Matua Valley Settler 2005
St. Clair Vicars Choice 2005