Parents Oyster Chowder
- 3 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 ½ cups fish stock (or ½ chicken stock and ½ water)
- 1 cup full fat milk
- ½ cup cream
- 1 pottle oysters, drained, juices reserved, oysters cut into 1cm pieces
- 300g red potato, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
Sauté bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes.
Transfer 1 tablespoon bacon to small bowl; reserve for garnish.
Add leeks and thyme to pan; sauté until leeks begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour.
Gradually whisk in stock, milk and cream and reserved oyster juices. Add potato; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add oysters; simmer, uncovered, until oysters are heated through and just firm, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with reserved bacon and serve.