Onion, Anchovy, Capsicum and Herb Topping
Topping for Catherine Bell's Catalan Coca - Mediterranean Flatbread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 large brown onions, halved and sliced thinly
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 - 4 really good anchovies, chopped
- 3 capsicum, mix of colours, sliced and seeded, OR a jar of grilled piquillo peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions, along with a hefty pinch of salt. Cook gently for about 1 hour until caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add the anchovies and cook until they ‘melt’ into the onions. Add the thyme in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cool and blend the onion mixture to a course paste.
Spread the dough with the onions, top with the capsicums and bake. Sprinkle with the oregano and salt when you remove it from the oven.