Moroccan Braised Beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg trimmed topside, shin or chuck steak, cut into 4 cm pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 small dried red chilli’s, finely sliced
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 400g peeled, seeded, cubed pumpkin
- 400g can Italian tomatoes in juice, mashed
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons each chopped parsley and coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- couscous for serving
Heat the oil over high heat and add the steak. Brown well all over, remove from the pan and reserve.
Add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, chilli and prunes. Fry gently until the onion is soft.
Add the reserved steak, mix well and add the pumpkin, tomatoes, stock and water. Bring to the boil and simmer 2 hours until the steak is very tender and the mixture has reduced and thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve on hot couscous and sprinkle with the chopped parsley and coriander.
Suggested Wines to Go With Today's Recipe
Te Mata Bullnose 2004
Passage Rock 2005 Reserve
Vidal Soler 2004
Bridge Pa 2004
Hewitson 2005 (Shiraz)