Leeks a la Grecque
- 4 leeks, trimmed, well washed and sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon or ½ Tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme or lemon thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Put all ingredients in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until all the liquid has been driven off, 12-15 minutes. Take care during the last few minutes to ensure that the vegetables don't catch on the bottom of the pan.
If the liquid has evaporated and the leeks aren't tender enough, add a tablespoon or two of water and keep cooking until they are. Serve hot or at room temperature.