Leek, Stilton & Port Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 C finely chopped leeks, white only
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¾ C finely chopped celery
- ¾ C finely chopped carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dry thyme
- 1 kg Agria or similar potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 C chicken stock
- 300 ml cream
- 300 gms crumbled stilton, or other blue cheese
- 6 tbsp tawny port
- pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. On a medium/high heat, sauté the leek, garlic, celery and carrot with the bay leaves and thyme for five minutes.
Add the potatoes and salt, cover with the chicken stock and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Discard the bay leaves and puree the mixture in a food processor until very smooth (this part may be done well in advance).
Transfer to a saucepan, heat and stir in the cream. Over a low heat, whisk in the cheese until smooth. Add the port and salt and pepper as required.