Leek and Pumpkin Soup
This is a chunky rather than smooth soup, good to serve for lunch with fresh bread or toast.
- 1 large onion, peeled and neatly diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 large leek, washed, trimmed and finely sliced (include some dark green leaves)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 chunk grey-skinned pumpkin ( approximately double the weight of the onion and leek), peeled and cut into small chunks
- big bunch parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- stock or water
- salt and pepper
Prepare the onion, garlic and leek and add to the butter in a heavy saucepan. Put over medium heat and cook gently until the vegetables soften. Add the prepared pumpkin and parsley and cover with stock or water. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until all the vegetables are very tender. Mash lightly with a masher, add more liquid if needed, check seasoning and serve.