La Boca Loca Marinated Fish Salad - Ceviche de Pescado
Many New Zealanders are familiar with Pacific-style marinated fish — oka i’a in Samoa, kokoda in Fiji or ika mata in the Cook Islands. Mexican ceviche is very similar. It’s fresh, light and lovely.
- 300g fresh line-caught trevally (or another firm white fish, not too flaky)
- 1 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons) or a mix of lemon and lime juices in season — divided use
- ¼ large telegraph cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded
- a handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 avocado
- pinch of hot chilli flakes (optional)
Dice the fish into 5mm chunks and marinate in ¾ cup of the citrus juice for 20 minutes. Dice cucumber, red onion and tomatoes to the same size.
To serve, mix all diced vegetables together in a bowl with fish and coriander. Dress using remaining citrus juice. Garnish with slices of avocado. If you want an extra kick, sprinkle on some hot chilli flakes.
Serve with totopos (corn chips) or, for a healthy alternative, homemade corn tortillas.