Jerusalem Artichoke Cakes
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic molasses
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- seeds scraped from a vanilla pod
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium lemons, finely zested and juiced
- 1 cup of grated raw Jerusalem artichoke
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease sides and bottoms of 8 friand molds, and line bottoms with parchment or dust pans with flour.
Beat the first five ingredients very well, until even in consistency and color. Sift the next six (dry) ingredients over the egg mixture.
Mix until incorporated, scraping sides and bottom of bowl with the spatula. Strain lemon juice and measure out 3 tablespoons of juice, gradually add the lemon juice with the vanilla extract to the batter. Fold in the lemon zest and grated Jerusalem artichokes until even.
Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick tests clean when inserted in center. Let cakes cool completely in pans. Invert when ready to decorate and serve. Store and eat at room temperature.