Italiano Strawberry Trifle
- 500g strawberries, sliced, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup caster sugar
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 150ml fresh orange juice
- 250g packet Savoiardi biscuits
- 100 ml grappa or vodka
- 2 eggs separated
- 250g mascarpone
- 300 ml cream
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
Put the strawberries, half the sugar, the zest and both juices into a bowl, mix well, set aside stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Reserve.
Put a double layer of Savoiardi biscuits in the bottom of a wide shallow bowl.
Sprinkle the grappa over the biscuits.
Sprinkle the strawberry mixture evenly over the top.
Beat the remaining sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Reserve.
In another bowl beat the mascarpone and cream together until whipped. Reserve.
Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry.
Fold the egg yolk mixture, the cream and mascarpone mixture and the egg whites together.
Spread this over the strawberries in the bowl.
Sprinkle with toasted almonds and decorate with halved strawberries.
Cover and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours so that the biscuits soak up the liquid.
John Hawkesby’s Wine Suggestion
- No. 1 Family Estate Blanc de Blanc N.V.
- Pol Roger Brut Reserve N.V.
- Brown Brothers Crouchen + Riesling 2007
- Johanneshof Noble Late Harvest Riesling 2006