Indian Spiced Brown Rice Porridge
Serves 2 - 3
Dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan
This porridge embraces warming Indian spices and makes use of leftover brown rice – I love the firm bite of this whole grain. You could use white rice instead if that’s what you have handy. Also millet or quinoa.
I prefer just a light sweetness so you may want to add extra sugar if you have a sweet tooth.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) coconut milk (or coconut cream for extra richness)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste / 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron threads – lightly crushed
- 1 rounded tablespoon coconut sugar or light muscovado sugar
- small grind of cracked black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until thick and creamy.
Garnish with fresh fruit, chopped nuts and a drizzle of coconut cream or yoghurt.