Herbed New Potatoes with Peas
- 50g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 1kg (24-30) small waxy potatoes (washed but not peeled)
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 130g (1 cup) frozen or fresh peas 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped French tarragon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill or fennel
- 1 tbsp finely sliced chives
Place butter in the base of a medium-sized, heavy casserole or heavy-based pot with tight-fitting lid.
Place casserole over a medium-low heat to melt butter.
Add potatoes, salt and pepper and toss well to coat all potatoes in butter.
Cover pot and cook over medium-low heat 25-30 minutes till potatoes are fork-tender. Shake pot occasionally without removing the lid, to prevent potatoes on the bottom from burning. A Simmermat is extremely useful for the cooking of this dish.
(Alternative method of cooking: To achieve a similar result but not quite as tasty, place covered pot in a preheated oven (190ºC) and cook 40-50 minutes till potatoes are fork-tender and beginning to brown.)
Remove from heat, add peas and leave to steam a further 5 minutes.
• Add herbs and gently shake pot from side to side to combine ingredients. Serve immediately.