Green-Lipped Mussels on Half Shell with Tomato Chilli Jam
- 20 green-lipped mussels (scrubbed and debearded)
- 250ml (1 cup) Sauvignon Blanc
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) tomato chilli jam
- 3g (3 Tbsp) karengo fronds (lightly toasted)
Into a heavy-based saucepan place Sauvignon Blanc aiming for 1cm depth and bring to the boil.
Add mussels, place lid on saucepan and cook for 5-10 minutes or until all mussels are open. Some mussels may open before others so remove them as they open.
Strain poaching liquid and reserve the liquid.
Open mussels and discard the empty shell.
Detach mussel from second half, remove tongue and discard, brush mussel with oil and return to shell.
Place tomato chilli jam in a bowl and add 1Tbsp poaching liquid and combine.
Spoon ¼ tsp Tomato Chilli Jam mixture onto each mussel and sprinkle with karengo fronds.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Babich Headwaters Organic 2011
Ostler Lakeside 2011