Gluten-Free Macaroni Cheese
A silky cauliflower puree makes the best substitute for traditional béchamel sauce. It’s a great way to cram some vegetable goodness into the comfort food classic.
Gluten-free / Vegetarian / Nut free
- 1 medium onion - finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 1 medium / large head cauliflower - cut into florets
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 250 grams gluten-free pasta (I like Ceres Organics rice & quinoa pasta)
- 3/4 cup (90g) gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (100g) grated cheddar cheese for topping
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- ghee or coconut oil for sautéing
Preheat oven to 200c (390f).
Heat a generous dollop of oil in large sauté pan (one that comes with a lid) over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for five minutes until translucent.
Add the cauliflower and stock. Gently simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender.
Use either a powerful blender or a hand blender to puree the cauliflower and stock until silky smooth. Stir through the butter and cheese. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Combine the drained pasta with the cauliflower sauce.
Spoon pasta and sauce into an oven-proof dish. Scatter the breadcrumbs on top, followed by the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
Leftover pasta can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two days. Gently reheat in the oven.