Ginger Beer Apples
- 2-3 sweet apples, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp rice bran oil (or any mild flavoured oil)
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 500ml craft wheat beer divided into 3 even glasses
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped sushi ginger
- 1-2 tsp arrowroot, soften with a little of one of the glasses of beers
- ¼ cup roasted cashew nuts (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp butter
- fresh mint to taste
Melt the butter with the oil and first batch of brown sugar in a heavy saute pan.
Add the wedged apple and gently saute to golden brown and the apples become soft.
Meanwhile, pour the first glass of beer into a sauce pan together with the remaining brown sugar and ginger.
Simmer for about 5 minutes before thickening in with the arrowroot mix.
The sauce should resemble a thick syrup.
While the sauce is still simmering, whisk in the second glass of beer.
This will create a frothy syrup - very cool and smells amazing!
Add the cashews and remove from the heat before whisking in the butter.
Fold in some chopped mint to taste and you’re done!
Arrange your cooked apples into service bowls, pour over your ginger beer syrup and… if you’re feeling a little naughty, a big dollop of your favourite ice cream, then a generous amount of the syrup and serve!