Autumn fried mushroom and chicken liver mosaic
- 4-6 large field mushrooms, stalk removed and peeled
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mulled wine (just straight red would also work just fine)
- ½ cup cornflour
- deep frying oil - ricebran or canola
- sea salt
- 4 tbsp avocado oil (olive oil is fine too)
- 4 chicken livers, dusted in flour
- 1 capsicum, deseeded and cut into chunky dice
- ½ onion, peeled and diced
- ½ black kalamata olives
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups old ciabatta bread, cubed
- fresh basil
Dice the mushroom into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl.
Pour the mulled wine over the mushrooms and add the chopped garlic.
Gently stir the mushrooms ensuring they are all covered this the garlicy wine mix. Be sure not to break the diced mushrooms. Leave to infuse for 15 min or so before draining well. Dust the mushrooms in the cornflour and shake off the extra flour.
Immediately fry the dices in the hot oil until the become crisp and golden.Drain and rest the mushrooms on a paper towel
Meanwhile, heat the avocado oil in a large solid pan
Quickly sauté the liver to medium-rare (about 2 minutes a side. Remove and place on paper towel in a warm spot
Add the capsicum, onion and olives to the hot pan and sauté until the vegetables start to colour a little
Add the garlic, tomatoes and the bread and continue to sauté. The bread will absorb the oil and juices and start to crispen a little in places. Finally add the fried mushrooms and livers and toss together gentley.
Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic. Arrange in service bowls and sprinkle with fresh basil.