Fig and Chocolate Rice Pudding
- 1.25 litres full cream milk
- 250 ml cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Italian or Spanish shortgrain rice
- 3/4 cup dried figs, quartered
- 3/4 cup chopped best quality dark chocolate
- whipped cream for serving
Put everything except the figs and chocolate into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Simmer, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
Add the figs and continue cooking and stirring until the rice is tender and the mixture is thick.
Remove from the heat, remove the vanilla bean, and gently stir in the chocolate but don’t worry about melting it.
Cool and serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.