Eggplant, smoked yoghurt, chickpea
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ! tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 eggplant
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 300 g fresh yoghurt
- one pack of sev (fine noodles made from chickpea flour, available from Indian stores) for garnish
To make the tamarind kasundi:
Caramelise 2 sliced white onion in a pan with some oil, add 1 tablespoon of ginger paste and 1 tablespoon of garlic paste.
Sauté till fragrant and slightly browned. Add 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric and 2 tablespoons of ground chilli powder. cook until the oil separates from the onions. Add 1 tablespoon of garam masala.
Take off heat, add 1 cup yoghurt and a tablespoon of tamarind pulp. Blitz in a food processor to form a sauce.
To prepare the eggplant:
Dice one eggplant and drain a can of chickpeas. Sautés with a teaspoon of oil in a pan until the eggplant is cooked. Season with salt. Add to the cooked sauce and warm in the sauce.
In a bowl serve the eggplant with kasundi sauce, top with dollops of fresh yoghurt and sev.