- 1 -2 tbsp light cooking oil - grapeseed etc
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic, peeled and shredded
- half long green chilli, deseeded and diced
- half tsp each ground cumin, coriander, and curry powder
- 1 x 400g (ish) can of coconut milk
- 3 or even 4 gold courgettes*, peeled in strips (for looks not taste), and chopped in chunky pieces - not sliced into rings
- salt to taste
Heat pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic, chilli and spices, and stir until onion and chilli are soft. Add coconut cream and courgettes, bring to the boil and simmer until courgettes are cooked.
Remove from heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes to 3 hours. Taste and add salt if necessary. Reheat gently. Serve over rice. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Stonecroft Old Vine 2009
* The variety of courgettes referred to as gold courgettes are also known as butter courgettes.