Chinese New Year Dumplings
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- up to 1 ¼ cups cold water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- or 1 packet ready made dumpling wrappers
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1 Tb soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tb Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
- 3 Tb sesame oil
- ½ spring onion, finely minced
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded cabbage
- 4 tablespoons shredded bamboo shoots
- 2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1-2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1/3 cup thin soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal
- Combine all and serve in a small bowl.
To make the dumpling wrappers:
Stir the salt into the flour. Slowly stir in the cold water, adding as much as is necessary to form a smooth dough. Don't add more water than is necessary. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 60 pieces. Roll each piece out into a circle about 3 inches in diameter.
To prepare the filling:
Add the soy sauce, salt, rice wine and white pepper to the meat and mix till combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Place a small portion (about 1 level tablespoon) of the filling into the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with water. Fold the dough over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the edges to seal. Continue with the remainder of the dumplings.
To cook the dumplings:
In a hot saute pan coated well with oil, place pot stickers flat side down and cook until the bottom is browned. Have pan cover ready and add 1 cup of chicken stock, cover immediately. Be careful, the liquid will splatter! The stock will steam the pot stickers. Check them in 5 minutes as more stock may be needed. The trick here is that once the dumplings are firm and fully cooked the stock will evaporate and the bottoms will crisp-up again.
Serve pot stickers on a large platter with a bowl of dipping sauce on the side.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Brown Bros Special Late Harvested Orange Muscat & Flora 2009
Tolaga Bay Estate Muscat 2009