Cheat's Moroccan Beef Stew
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 750g cross-cut blade steaks
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8-10 baby onions, peeled and halved
- ½ cup stuffed green olives
- 150-200g dried or glace figs, sliced ( or use prunes)
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan spice seasoning or similar
- 420g can condensed tomato soup
- ½ cup orange juice
1. Brown the cross cut blade steaks in a dash of oil in a lidded, oven- proof casserole. Seta side.
2. Brown the cut side of the onions - it adds flavour. Return the meat to the pan with the carrots, olives, fisg, spice mis, tomato soup and orange juice and cover.
3. Bake in a 160°C oven for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Serve with couscous or pasta.
Up-market or change me!
- Use a special spice mix like Berebere - delicious!
- Add 1 well-drained can chickpeas
- Add plenty of chopped fresh parsley when cooked
- Add a cinnamon stick
- Use lamb in place of beef
- Use apricots in place of figs or raisins
Slow cook me!
Brown the beef and put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 8-9 hours.