- 700 gms chicken portions or lamb shoulder steaks, trimmed of skin and fat, cut into 3 cm strips
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 lge onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250 gms carrots, peeled and sliced
- 800 gms potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 C chicken stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ C black olives
- ¼ C chopped fresh coriander or parsley
Season the meat with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy-based ovenproof casserole or tagine, add a little oil and brown the meat in batches for one to two minutes on both sides. Remove and put to one side.
Add a little more oil and the onion to the pan and cook for five minutes to soften but not colour. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Return the meat to the pan and cover with layers of carrots and potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers. Pour over the stock and olive oil.
Cover the pan and bring the liquid to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 1½ hours until the meat and vegetables are tender and the liquid is much reduced. Alternatively, cook in a preheated 180ºC oven.
To serve, scatter with olives and coriander or parsley.