Baked Beans with Chorizo
- ¾ C white haricot beans
- 2½ C water
- 600 gms (5-6) tomatoes skinned, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 lge clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ red chilli, finely chopped
- 75 gms pancetta, cut into 1 cm dices
- 100 gms (1½-2) chorizo, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 160 ml beef stock
- 2 tsp treacle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, soak the beans overnight in two cups of water.
Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
Drain the beans, discarding the water, and place in a small casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Cover with the lid and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 2¼-2½ hours until the beans are cooked and the sauce is thick. Stir after each 30 minutes.
NB : If you are cooking the beans the day before you intend to serve them, cook for 1¾ hours and finish the cooking the following day when reheating. Reheat at 170ºC for 1¼ hours until the beans are cooked and the sauce is hot and thick.