Baby Beetroot with Cream and Chives
- 700g baby beetroot or 6 medium ones
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- lemon wedges, optional
1. Wash the beetroot without tearing the skin. Trim the leaves and the tapering root if they are very long, but don't cut the beetroot flesh, or the beetroot will bleed during cooking. Put the beetroot in a saucepan and cover generously with cold water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, partially cover with a lid and cook gently until tender (the skin will slip off easily when they are tender); allow 20-30 minutes for baby beetroot and about 45 minutes for large ones.
2. Drain, then remove the stalks, tapering roots and skin. Leave whole, or cut into quarters or slices. The beetroot can be prepared ahead to this point and either reheated briefly in the microwave, or in the oven covered with a lid, for about 15 minutes.
3. About 5 minutes before serving, put the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce by half, then sprinkle over the chives, add a few pinches of salt and grind on some pepper. Arrange the hot beetroot in a heated serving dish and spoon over the creamy chive dressing. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.