- 4 young artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 litres water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated grano padano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped marjoram (or use basil)
1. Trim the artichoke stems, then cut off the top third of each and discard. Snap off the tough outside leaves, leaving only the tender leaves near the centre. Slice the artichokes in half and scrape out the any choke (fibrous hairs). Drop into acidulated water as they are done, the shake off any excess water, and cut into wafer-thin slices.
2. Set a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When it is hot, drop in the artichokes. Sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring often, or until they are a light golden brown colour. Pour in 1/2 cup water, stir with a spoon, then put on the lid and lower the heat. Cook gently for about 30 minutes, or until very tender.
3. Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs in a bowl and add the cheese, black pepper and marjoram. Pour this over the artichokes in the frying pan and cook over a low-to-medium heat until partially set and golden on the base. Loosen the frittata from the pan, then cover the pan with a large plate, flip it over, lift off the pan and slide the frittata back into the pan to cook the other side. Cook until golden, then slide out onto a plate. Serve warmish.