Series Classification: PG (Parental Guidance Recommended for Younger Viewers) | Produced by Boxed Media
>> Click here to watch all eight episodes on YouTube or watch on your TV via the RNZ Channel on Freeview On Demand.
Episode 1: The Announcement
Founder of youth mentoring organisation Crescendo and former Blindspott member Marcus Powell brings together the programme's most promising young musicians to offer them the biggest opportunity of their lives – a headline gig at Auckland venue The Tuning Fork. Will the rangatahi overcome their personal demons and pull it off?
Episode 2: Pressure Makes Diamonds
Tensions are high as the team realise just how much is involved in pulling off the gig. Mahima reveals the true depth of his emotional pain as he tries to harness it for his performance.
Episode 3: Pockets of Gold
West Auckland hip hop musician Melodownz shares his top writing tips with the rangatahi. Amelia experiments with her musical identity to reflect her new self, and things get real when the team visit their gig venue.
Episode 4: Our Demons
Mataio explores the dark side of the music industry with hip hop duo No Comply, and Iris reveals how her traumatic past has stolen her voice. Can she find it again in time for the gig?
Content warning: In this episode we hear the story of a survivor of sexual assault.
Episode 5: The Hood
Trey and Jay find new ways of rapping about hood life, no longer glorifying the bad stuff, and Laughton Kora (Kora, Fly My Pretties) has the tools to help Mahima uncover the confidence that was in him all along.
Episode 6: My Body Is Mine
With the help of musician Emma Dilemma and a healing yoga therapy session, Iris has a breakthrough. Meanwhile Mataio is panicking with two songs to write in just a few days, and Trey and Jay are spreading the word about the gig.
Episode 7: The Downfall
Drum & Bass MC Tali takes a trip to the hood to chat all things music with Trey and Jay. Plans come crashing down when the rangatahi realise they've not sold enough tickets for the gig. Will they lose faith in their mentors?
Episode 8: The Gig
The stakes are high on the big day. Will they manage to salvage the gig at the last minute, or will they crack under pressure?
Made with the support of NZ On Air.
Where to get help:
Need to Talk? Free call or text 1737 any time to speak to a trained counsellor, for any reason.
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 or text HELP to 4357
- Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 / 0508 TAUTOKO (24/7). This is a service for people who may be thinking about suicide, or those who are concerned about family or friends.
- Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 (24/7) or text 4202
- Samaritans: 0800 726 666 (24/7)
- Youthline: 0800 376 633 (24/7) or free text 234 (8am-12am), or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- What's Up: online chat (3pm-10pm) or 0800 WHATSUP / 0800 9428 787 helpline (12pm-10pm weekdays, 3pm-11pm weekends)
- Kidsline (ages 5-18): 0800 543 754 (24/7)
- Rural Support Trust Helpline: 0800 787 254
- Healthline: 0800 611 116
- Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.