The New Zealand Wars are over… what comes next? A whole lot of political wrangling over how to run the new colony - centralism or provinces? Plus - how refrigeration saved the Kiwi economy from the brink of disaster and how women won the right to vote.
You can LISTEN to the audio only podcast
Or WATCH a video version of the show!
- Provincialism versus Centralism
- Julius Vogel and the “Grand Go-Ahead policy”
- The Long Depression and its impact on New Zealanders
- How the invention of refrigerated shipping saved the economy.
- Disputes over voting, including gold miners and Māori representation in Parliament.
- How women won the right to vote
- The exclusion of Chinese people from NZ society.
- The early Labour Movement and the Great Strike of 1913