In part four, Māori and Pākehā wrestle with how to share Aotearoa, the New Zealand Company is formed and Te Tiriti o Waitangi is signed. But before long disputes arise, prompting the Wairau Affray and Northern War.
You can LISTEN to the audio only podcast
Or WATCH a video version of the show!
- Frustration over Pākehā behaviour at Kororāreka/Russell
- The foundation of the United Tribes of New Zealand and their declaration of independence
- Outline of the different European factions - the French, Wakefield and the NZ Company, the British Colonial Office, Missionaries and British humanitarian movements
- The signing of the Treaty and problems with translation, including some possible explanations for the mistranslation.
- The Wairau Affray.
- Hōne Heke, Te Ruki Kawiti and the chopping down of the flagstaff at Russell
- The Northern War, including discussions of Māori “trench warfare” and why some Māori chose to fight alongside the British.