In part three, Tasman and then Cook visit and before long Europeans come to stay. Muskets, missionaries and international trade change the country as two cultures seek to make sense of each other.
- Tasman’s voyage to Aotearoa/New Zealand and his interaction with Māori.
- James Cook’s voyages to Aotearoa/New Zealand. Including the role played by Tupaia, violence between his expedition and Māori as well as the wider forces behind his journey and how it paved the way for colonisation.
- Early Pākehā settlers and how they interacted with Māori.
- The Musket Wars and their impact on Māori people.
- The role of early missionaries in the musket wars, their attempts to convert Māori and suppress elements of Māori culture.
If you missed the start of the series, you can watch episode one here.