24 Dec 2011

Baby formula powder removed from stores

5:24 am on 24 December 2011

A powdered infant formula has been removed from more than 3000 Wal-Mart stores in the United States after a newborn baby who consumed it, died from a rare infection.

Tests are underway to see if there is a link between the formula and the death of the infant last weekend.

However, the federal government has not recalled Enfamil Newborn formula, and the maker said pre-shipment tests were negative.

The bacterium, Cronobacter sakazakii, is extremely rare but is dangerous to premature and newborn babies.

The BBC reports it is commonly found in plants such as wheat and rice.

Avery Cornett, from the town of Lebanon, in Missouri, died on Sunday after being removed from life support.