21 Jan 2012

Boy bitten by dog moved to Starship Hospital

12:54 pm on 21 January 2012

An Ashburton boy bitten by a dog on the throat has been moved to Auckland's Starship Hospital.

The three-year-old was attacked on Wednesday by a family member's dog trying to get to a chocolate the boy was eating.

The dog, a doberman pitbull staffordshire cross, was put down at the owner's request.

The boy had been receiving treatment at Christchurch Hospital, but was transferred to Starship's paediatric intensive care unit on Friday.

He remained in a critical but stable condition on Saturday.