25 Dec 2017

Firefighters battle Christmas Day blaze

1:27 pm on 25 December 2017

A house in Levin has been badly damaged in a fire thought to have been caused by a gas slow cooker.

Fire trucks from Levin, Shannon, and Waitarere beach were called to put out the fire on Kawiui Rd this morning, and make sure it wouldn't spread.

Levin's chief fire officer Lindsay Walker says about 50 percent of the house was damaged by fire, and most of it smoke damaged.

He said a slow cooker was on the deck on low, and it appears the gas flame caused the fire.

Mr Walker said the family was not home at the time, but has since returned - and neighbours have offered them a place to stay.