2 Dec 2020

University glass ceiling: Māori and Pacific promotions and pay

From Nine To Noon, 9:08 am on 2 December 2020

New research shows not only are Māori and Pasifika under-represented in the New Zealand university workforce  - they're also likely to be paid less and less likely to be promoted. 

Using New Zealand's Performance-Based Research Fund data, Māori and Pacific men and women had 64 per cent lower odds of being in the professoriate and 36 per cent lower odds of being a full professor over time.

The figures were even more dire for women - with Māori and Pacific women academics earning $7,713 less on average than non-Māori and non-Pacific men in academia.

Two of the five authors of the report join Kathryn: Dr Sereana Naepi is a Pasifika academic teaching sociology at the University of Auckland and Dr Tara McAllister is a research fellow at Te Pūnaha Matatini, University of Auckland.

No caption

Photo: 123RF

Get the RNZ app

for easy access to all your favourite programmes

Subscribe to Nine To Noon

Podcast (MP3) Oggcast (Vorbis)