It all began in 2015, when the city switched from Detroits water system, to taking water from the Flint river to cut costs.
As soon as the water was switched, locals complained about the colour, taste and smell of the water, but officials insisted it was safe
Then people started getting sick. Still officials insisted there was nothing wrong with the water.
It was only when Virginia Tech researcher, Marc Edwards and his team came to Flint and conducted their own tests that the extent of the contamination was revealed - it was so corrosive that it caused lead from the old pipes to leach into the water supply, poisoning thousands of residents.
Marc Edwards talks to Nine to Noon about how he got involved, and how Flint authorities intially covered up the contamination.