Musician Marlon Williams and director Martin Sagadin have teamed up to create a dark and whimsical video for ‘Nothing Lasts’ by Adam Hattaway and The Haunters.
Marlon Williams has directed several of his own music videos, but this is the first time he’s made a video for someone else.
“I was strung out and jet lagged at Brisbane airport at 4am in September last year, listening to Adam’s album Crying Lessons on repeat and for some impertinent reason decided I should conjure up a video for my favourite track,” Marlon explains.
Marlon worked with prolific Christchurch filmmaker Martin Sagadin, who’s created videos for Marlon, Aldous Harding, Nadia Reid and more.
Based in Christchurch, Adam Hattaway and the Haunters are known for their electrifying live performances.
Adam Hattaway (The Eastern, Wurld Series) is a born frontman, performing alongside three Haunters; Elmore Jones, Liam Quinn, and Thomas Isbister.
The band have released two albums: 2018’s fuzz-laden debut All Dat Love and 2019’s Crying Lessons. A stark contrast to their debut, Crying Lessons was produced by acclaimed Lyttleton bluesman Delaney Davidson.
‘Nothing Lasts’ was written by the Haunters guitarist Elmore Jones. “In keeping with the rest of the Crying Lessons album, it leans toward classic songwriting style, incorporating soul, R&B and tears,” Adam says.
“A woozy swamp ballad that attempts to walk the fine line between cheese and crackers. As obvious as the title is, sometimes we need to remember that for better or worse, nothing lasts forever!”
- Directed by: Marlon Williams & Martin Sagadin
- Cinematographer and editor: Martin Sagadin
- Art Director & Props Master: Nick Lowry
- Camera Assistant: Ella Waswo
- Gaffer: Simeon Hoggan
- Production Assistants: Gina Johns, Ella Waswo
- Appearing: Adam Hattaway, Alex Walls, Gina Johns, Karen McKee, Mario Williams, Marlon Williams, Martin Sagadin, Mike Williams, Morgan Schroeder, Shaun Malloc, Ryan Chin, Ryan Jones
- Thanks to: Zac Beckett-Knight, Courtney Crump