The winners of the NZ Music Awards for children's music were announced at a family friendly ceremony in Auckland yesterday.
Craig Smith took out best NZ Children’s Song for ‘The Scariest Thing In The Garden’, in which the lyrics move up the food chain from brussel sprout to child. Smith has won the award before, in 2008 for 'Wonky Donkey' and is currently playing and travelling around Asia, helping young kids to learn English through his music and books.
Levity Beet (Nick Hollis) has won the Tui for Best NZ Children’s Artist for My Best Friend Jake is a Cyborg. The Takaka-based performer is no stranger to these awards, having won the APRA Children’s Song of the Year award three times in the past decade. He invents his own instruments using recycling appliances and materials.
Video director Jeremy Dillon and producer Briar Coleman have won the Best Children's Music Video for Moe & Friends for 'Because It’s Christmas'
Full List of Finalists
APRA Best Children's Song finalists:
- Moe & Friends for Another Year Of You written by Ben Sinclair & Jeremy Dillon
- Kath Bee & Suzy Cato for Sprinkle A Little Sunshine
- Craig Smith for The Scariest Thing In The Garden
Recorded Music NZ Best Children's Artist finalists:
- Chanelle & Friends for The Little Green Turtle And Other Songs For Kids
- Levity Beet for My Best Friend Jake Is A Cyborg
- Moe & Friends for The Moe Album
NZ On Air Best Children's Music Video finalists:
- Moe & Friends for Because It’s Christmas (directed by Jeremy Dillon and produced by Briar Coleman)
- Itty Bitty Beats for Hot Air Balloon (directed and produced by Jennifer Payne)
- fleaBITE for Liver Lover (directed by Geni McCallum and produced by Robin Nathan)
Videos featuring the winners: