1 Dec 2023

Councillor Alf Filipaina on Māngere Bridge fires

From Morning Report, 8:19 am on 1 December 2023

A South Auckland church has admitted it did not having working smoke alarms in four temporary homes which caught fire in Māngere Bridge early Thursday morning.

Fire and Emergency says the families are lucky to be alive.

A church trustee, Frank Koloi, says he didn't know it was the landlord's responsibility to ensure smoke alarms are working.

Manukau ward councillor, Alf Filipaina, says the community is rallying around to help the families who are now without their belongings, and a place to live.

Filipaina spoke to Ingrid Hipkiss.