28 Sep 2021

Honey could help battle button battery injuries

From Morning Report, 8:54 am on 28 September 2021

The humble pantry staple, honey, could be given to children who've swallowed button batteries, to help prevent them from suffering serious injury.

Canadian experts have found ten miligrams of honey, every ten minutes, could limit the tissue damage caused by the battery.

The child would still need to go to the hospital, but the honey could help lessen the damage before getting to the emergency department

Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children staff physician in emergency medicine Dr Amy Zipursky spoke to Susie Ferguson.