24 Aug 2018

Insurance Council warns of deficient fire protections

From Morning Report, 6:43 am on 24 August 2018

The Insurance Council says a nearly new Wellington hotel had to shut for months due to deficient fire protection measures letting smoke into rooms. The council is using the example to back its warning that many commercial buildings are not up to scratch. The council hasn't named the hotel. But a fire in December 2016 in a top restaurant at the Sofitel in Bolton Street forced the immediate evacuation of guests, and its closure for renovations till July last year. The Sofitel did not respond to RNZ's approach. The Insurance Council's John Lucas spoke to Phil Pennington as insurers hold a day-long seminar in Auckland on Friday to highlight the warnings.