Northland washout from lack of investment - councillor
Drivers will be able to travel on a forest track under police escort to bypass the washout that has closed State Highway 1 north of Kaitaia. Motorists had been warned off using the forest route over the weekend because it is unsealed and on private land but now the forestry company that owns the land is going to allow convoys through on Monday morning and later in the evening. Only those who absolutely need to travel will be allowed to make the 40-minute trip on the one lane road. Yesterday Far North District councillor Felicity Foy said locals had told her they contacted the Transport Agency because they were worried washout could happen because of a blocked culvert. She told RNZ reporter Emma Hatton the washout is indicative of the lack of investment in the Far North's roading infrastructure.