An Auckland councillor is concerned there could be dozens of buildings being used as temporary accommodation which don't have a proper warrant of fitness.
Four cabins on a church complex in Māngere Bridge were destroyed by an early morning fire on Thursday.
Fire and Emergency says there were no smoke alarms or sprinklers - and the 18 residents were lucky to escape alive.
Josephine Bartley is the Chair of Auckland Council's Regulatory and Community Safety Committee and says she's asked council officials to investigate.
Bartley spoke to Charlotte Cook.