The High Court has ruled that a woman who died of a cancer caused by inhaling asbestos as a child was entitled to ACC cover.
Deanna Trevarthen died of mesotheioma in 2016. As a child she would hug her father when he arrived home from work after coming into regular contact with absestos. ACC had declined cover saying it wasn't the result of work exposure.
But in a judgment the High Court said Ms Trevarthen was entitled to cover because it was a personal injury caused by an accident to her.
Lawyer, Hazel Armstrong specialises in resolving ACC, employment and health and safety issues and she joins Karyn to discuss the significance of the ruling.