An American Samoan family in Fagatogo is thankful noone was killed or injured when a World War II ordinance blew up behind their home on Saturday evening.
The back portion of their home was severely damaged, with the blast blowing in windows and the roof, but authorities say its fortunate noone was in the rear of the house.
TEMCO manager Vini Atofau Junior says the homeowner was burning trash and he suspects the heat must have caused the device to detonate.
The ordinance is believed to have been embedded in the mountainside, near the spot where the US flag was first raised.
The family has been relocated and a sweep of the area has been requested to look for more ordinances.