15 Sep 2018

Residents take cover during shoot-out in Australia

7:13 pm on 15 September 2018

Residents had to take cover in the Australian town of Queanbeyan this morning during a shoot-out between police and a gunman.

No caption

Photo: Australian Police

New South Wales Police were called to Monaro Street shortly before 4am, following reports from the public of shots being fired.

After officers approached a middle-aged man in Crawford Street, residents took shelter in nearby businesses as the shooting continued.

The man moved towards the BP Petrol Station on Low Street, where a NSW Southern Region Commander said he confronted police officers.

"The man refused to surrender and was shot in the hip, although at that point he remained conscious and quite vocal," Assistant Commissioner Peter Barry said.

"He was disarmed... and after being treated at the scene he was conveyed to Canberra Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition."

Mr Barry said there were no other injuries, but witnesses were "very distraught" over the "horrific incident".

"I haven't spoken to witnesses personally... I understand many people were quite traumatised," he said.

The location and "exact nature" of the shots were still being determined.

Mr Barry said there was damage to police cars and those owned by members of the public.

The suspect was believed to be a local resident.

Assistant Commissioner Barry said the motive was not yet known and would form part of the investigation.

Two patrol cars were left in place at the scene late morning, their doors still flung open. One parked a metre from where the man was taken down had a shattered front window.

A pool of blood and a shotgun were also seen on the concrete across the road.

A few blocks away, another police car was riddled with bullets.

One resident said he was upset and shaken.

He said he was still shocked by the murder at a petrol station in the same area last year.

Police launched a critical incident investigation into the circumstances and the discharge of a police firearm.

Multiple crime scenes were established and police called for witnesses to come forward.


Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs