8 Mar 2016

Family links in fatal Sydney shooting

1:51 pm on 8 March 2016

The father of a man who took his own life after a fatal shooting at Ingleburn in Sydney's south-west has been charged.

Wayne Williams, 33, shot at the trio when they arrived at the workshop and one of them, Michael Bassal, 43, was killed.

Mr Bassal's two brothers, aged 41 and 34, were also shot with a semi-automatic weapon but survived.

Wayne Williams's father Peter, 52, has been charged with discharging a firearm in a separate shooting earlier in the day.

He and a 30-year-old woman were charged with not assisting police with their enquiries.

The pair were taken out of the area by police by force early on in the investigation.

Police said they were investigating whether a business dispute led to the shooting and the siege that followed at Heald Road in Ingleburn.

A police spokeswoman said there had been ongoing tensions at the workshop all day which eventually led to the shooting.

Officers said Mr Bassal was shot dead on the grass verge when he went to the premises with his two brothers.

The two brothers were taken to Liverpool Hospital and the 41-year-old brother had to undergo emergency surgery.

Police said the 34-year-old brother suffered only minor injuries.

Wayne Williams then held three male hostages for three hours as police worked to resolve the situation.

Officers managed to free the hostages about 5pm (7pm NZ time) and found Wayne Williams' body inside the property - he is thought to have shot himself.

Officers probe bikie links

A police spokeswoman said at this stage it did not look like the matter was related to outlaw motorcycle club conflicts.

But some of the people involved were members of the clubs.

"It doesn't look like anything to do with bikie gang wars, it looks like a business dispute at this stage," she said.

Peter Williams was refused bail and will face Campbelltown Local Court today, while the woman was granted strict conditional bail and is due to appear at the same court on 4 April.

Macquarie Fields Police Detective Inspector Mark Brett said on Monday they had yet to determine the motive of the alleged shooter.

Police said they did not believe the shooting was terrorism related.

Witnesses from nearby businesses said they heard five gunshots ring out.