22 Mar 2014

Occupy protestor wins compo for injury

7:08 pm on 22 March 2014

An Iraq war veteran critically injured in 2011 Occupy protests in California has won $US4.5 million in a legal settlement with local authorities.

Scott Olsen, who served two tours in Iraq, suffered brain damage when riot police used tear gas to disperse protesters in Oakland.

The 26-year-old welcomed the settlement but said it could not compensate for his injuries, which included a fractured skull.

He said he had not expected to be disabled due to police action at home, having survived war-torn Iraq.

We are the 99%

The Occupy Wall Street protests started in New York and swept across the US and other countries in 2011 and 2012.

They called for social and economic equality and greed, corruption and the perceived undue influence of corporations on government-particularly from the financial services sector.

The protestors' slogan "We are the 99%", refers to income inequality and the unequal distribution of wealth in the US, where the gap between the richest 1% and the remaining 99% has been at its widest since the 1920s.

In 2012 the incomes of the wealthiest 1% rose nearly 20%, whereas the income of the remaining 99% rose only 1%.