7 Feb 2012

Indonesian group completes takeover of Brisbane Roar

6:05 am on 7 February 2012

Indonesia's Bakrie Group have snapped up the remaining stake in the Brisbane Roar to wholly own the Australian A-league champions in a landmark investment hailed by the country's football administrators.

The group, controlled by the family of Indonesia's Golkar Party Chairman Aburizal Bakrie, took a 70 percent stake in the Roar last October and have bought the remaining 30 percent from league administrators Football Federation Australia (FFA).

The Bakrie Group's investment makes them the first Asian owners of an Australian league club, a move welcomed by the FFA, which has had to bail out a number of cash-strapped clubs in the country's financially-vulnerable A-League in recent years.

Brisbane had been under league management for seven months prior to the Bakrie Group taking their initial stake.

The previous private owners handed their license back to the FFA within days of the team winning their first premiership in the league's sixth season, having racked up millions of dollars in debts.