A-League-topping striker Nathan Burns has agreed to return to the ailing Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the goal-producing form of his 2014-15 season.
The club on Saturday announced the 29-year-old had signed a two-year contract.
Burns last played for the Nix in 2014, scoring 13 goals, helping the club to a finals appearance and winning the Johnny Warren Medal for the league's best player.
He's since played in Japan's J-League with FC Tokyo and Sanfrecce Hiroshima.
"He's a player with a top, top pedigree, a tremendous work ethic and ambition to succeed and he's somebody that's synonymous with some of the best times we've seen at this club," general manager David Dome said.
Burns has already arrived in Wellington and passed his medical, meaning he may make a much-needed appearance when the Phoenix take on third-placed Melbourne Victory on January 10.
He said there'd been "plenty of offers" from around Asia but the Nix had been his first choice.
"When I was in Wellington I was playing really well, it was probably the highlight of my career. I had good players around me," Burns said.
"And as soon as I landed again I felt happy to be in the city; it feels like home."
Wellington have just one win and three draws from 11 games and are under increasing pressure after losing assistant coach Rado Vidosic, striker son Dario Vidosic and Brazilian midfielder Gui Finkler in the past month.